Andrew Hart is a staff software engineer at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) where he works in the Data Management Systems and Technologies group. He brings his computer science background and creative talents to the design and development of data management components and web interfaces for a wide range of projects including an informatics infrastructure for the National Cancer Institute’s Early Detection Research Network (EDRN), data modeling and architectural support for the Laura P. and Leland K. Whittier Virtual Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Whittier VPICU) at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, and web services for JPL's Regional Climate Model Evaluation System. He is also an active contributor to the Object Oriented Data Technology (OODT) project which last year became a TLP at Apache.
- How the OODT Product Server component can be used to bring together data from multiple upstream sources
- How the OODT File Manager component can be used to manage scalable collections of data + metadata
- How the OODT Workflow Manager component helps build composable workflows for de-identification, aggregation, and analysis
- How the OODT Web-Grid and web services can help to distribute research data to both users and applications
- How OODT Balance can help in developing purpose-built interfaces for data discovery and visualization
Three of the core OODT components, the File Manager, Workflow Manager, and Resource Manager, along with components for crawling data repositories and extracting metadata, together represent the fundamental ingredients of many large-scale data system projects and are often referred to as a Process Control System or PCS. This session will discuss a new, unified "operator" interface for monitoring and interacting with the Process Control System.
The OODT PCS Operator User Interface, or OpsUI, provides high-level and detailed information about the status of the underlying components in an intuitive, browser-based interface. It takes advantage of a suite of RESTful web services developed in OODT 0.3 that expose component level information as JSON.
This session will provide an overview of the OpsUI, discuss the services it provides, and explain how the interface can be used to monitor and manage a full-scale data system in real time.